Ella to Udawalawe traveling offers a diverse and picturesque route through Sri Lanka’s stunning landscapes. Here’s a more detailed guide to help you plan your journey:
Private Vehicle or Taxi:
Hiring a private vehicle or taxi is the most convenient option, as it gives you the flexibility to stop at scenic viewpoints along the way. You can arrange for a vehicle through local transport services or book one in advance.
- Ella to Wellawaya: From Ella, you can take a public bus heading to Wellawaya. Buses are available at regular intervals throughout the day. The journey takes approximately 1 hour, depending on traffic and road conditions.
- Wellawaya to Udawalawe: Once you reach Wellawaya, you’ll need to transfer to another bus that goes to Udawalawe. Buses from Wellawaya to Udawalawe are less frequent, so it’s recommended to check the bus schedule in advance. The journey typically takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.
Ella to Wellawaya Scenic Drive:
- As you depart from Ella, you’ll be treated to breathtaking views of tea plantations, rolling hills, and cascading waterfalls. Keep your camera ready to capture the natural beauty of the surroundings.
- The road winds through the picturesque countryside, offering glimpses of rural life and charming villages. Take in the fresh mountain air and soak in the serene atmosphere.
Wellawaya to Udawalawe Route:
- The road from Wellawaya to Udawalawe takes you through rural landscapes, passing by paddy fields, small towns, and verdant countryside.
- Enjoy the scenic drive as you pass through quaint villages, where you can observe local life and catch a glimpse of traditional Sri Lankan culture.
Udawalawe National Park:
Once you arrive in Udawalawe, the main attraction is Udawalawe National Park. It is renowned for its population of wild elephants and offers fantastic opportunities for wildlife spotting.
Take a safari tour within the park, either by hiring a jeep with a driver or joining a guided tour. The park is home to a variety of wildlife, including elephants, leopards, crocodiles, and a wide array of bird species.
To return from Udawalawe to Ella, you can follow the same route in reverse. Alternatively, you can consider other transportation options such as hiring a private vehicle or taking a bus back to Wellawaya and then continuing to Ella.
Remember to plan your journey according to your preferences and make any necessary arrangements in advance. Check the latest bus schedules, consider the travel time, and factor in stops for meals and rest breaks along the way. Enjoy the scenic drive and make the most of your visit to Udawalawe National Park, immersing yourself in the natural beauty and wildlife encounters Sri Lanka has to offer.